Your Journey Through Recovery
Pre-surgery Education Class
All patients are recommended to attend a total joint education class before surgery. An overview of what to expect and orientation to the surgery will be provided.
Patients are interviewed by a nurse who will offer an individual assessment to help evaluate the home situation, including necessary medical equipment. A check list helps the staff evaluate a patient's medical history and current health status. Lab tests and any additional tests will be completed at that time. Home visits can occur before surgery as requested.
What to Expect
We want to make your orthopedic surgery a positive experience. Please contact Kadlec Clinic Northwest Orthopedic and Sports Medicine with any questions.
Here is a list of instructions for your day of surgery:
- You may have a full evening meal the night before your surgery. Please have nothing to eat after midnight (this includes milk).
- For your safety, eating or drinking anything (this includes gum, candy or mints) on the day of day of surgery may result in the rescheduling or cancellation of your procedure. You will be given specific instructions on this at the time of your Pre-Op phone call.
- Bathe or shower and brush your teeth before coming to the surgery center. Avoid swallowing water when rinsing your mouth.
- Arrive at the surgery center one hour before your scheduled surgery time.
- Bring a case for eyeglasses or contact lenses for storage as you will not be able to wear them during surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Do not wear makeup or nail polish.
- Please leave any cash or valuables at home.
Kadlec believes in patient and care partner-centered recovery with mutual goal setting. The Kadlec staff will measure your pain and offer management to help you feel most comfortable and therapy begins soon after surgery for rapid mobility and prevention of complications. We offer pet visitation, massage and others tools to help speed up your recovery.
Discharge planners work with each patient to determine the appropriate care needed following surgery. Many go home and return for physical therapy on an outpatient basis. A variety of therapy and recovery options are available through Kadlec. Each patient is assisted along the way so you have the most positive outcome possible. A follow up call before 48 hours after discharge from an RN helps monitor recovery and healing.
Click here to see our award winning "Surgery Roadmap," which provides information from pre- to post-surgery